By John H. Relethford
50 nice Myths of Human Evolution makes use of universal misconceptions to discover uncomplicated concept and study in human evolution and advance serious pondering talents for lay readers and students.
- Examines intriguing—yet commonly misunderstood—topics, from normal rules approximately evolution and human origins to the evolution of recent people and up to date developments within the field
- Describes what fossils, archaeology, and genetics can let us know approximately human origins
- Demonstrates the ways that technological know-how adapts and adjustments over the years to include new proof and higher explanations
- Includes myths resembling “Humans lived whilst dinosaurs;” “Lucy was once so small simply because she used to be a child;” “Our ancestors have continuously made fire;” and “There is a robust courting among mind measurement and intelligence”
- Comprised of stand-alone essays which are ideal for informal interpreting, in addition to footnotes and references that let readers to delve extra deeply into topics
Read Online or Download 50 Great Myths of Human Evolution: Understanding Misconceptions about Our Origins PDF
Best anthropology books
Whereas an increasing number of well known and scholarly works specialize in Asian american citizens, such a lot are dedicated to the stories of bigger teams akin to chinese language, eastern, Korean, Filipino, and Indian american citizens. because the box grows, there's a urgent have to comprehend the smaller and more moderen immigrant groups.
Politics of Piety is a groundbreaking research of Islamist cultural politics in the course of the ethnography of a thriving, grassroots women's piety circulation within the mosques of Cairo, Egypt. not like these equipped Islamist actions that search to grab or remodel the nation, it is a ethical reform move whose orthodox practices are generally seen as inconsequential to Egypt's political panorama.
The indigenous inhabitants of the Ecuadorian Andes made tremendous political profits throughout the Nineteen Nineties within the wake of a dynamic wave of neighborhood activism. The circulation renegotiated land improvement legislation, elected indigenous applicants to nationwide place of work, and effectively fought for the constitutional redefinition of Ecuador as a state of many cultures.
Mohawk Interruptus is a daring problem to dominant pondering within the fields of local reviews and anthropology. Combining political idea with ethnographic learn one of the Mohawks of Kahnawà:ke, a reserve neighborhood in what's now southwestern Quebec, Audra Simpson examines their struggles to articulate and keep political sovereignty via centuries of settler colonialism.
- The Things We Don't Know: How mankind found answers to some of life's most pressing questions. (A Shared Human Future Book 1)
- Next-Year Country: A Study of Rural Social Organization in Alberta (Heritage)
- Healing Elements: Efficacy and the Social Ecologies of Tibetan Medicine
- Culture, Bodies and the Sociology of Health
- Consuming Habits: Drugs in History and Anthropology
- Founding Sociology? Talcott Parsons and the Idea of General Theory.
Additional info for 50 Great Myths of Human Evolution: Understanding Misconceptions about Our Origins
50 Great Myths of Human Evolution: Understanding Misconceptions about Our Origins by John H. Relethford